9/9/13

HORROR TATTOOS: Part 2. Interview with director JOE BEGOS



In part 2 of our investigation of the link between horror and ink, we chat with Joe Begos, director of Almost Human. (Read part 1 here).

Midnight Madness Blog: I can see elements from Zombi, Dawn of the Dead and Videodrome going on here. What made you choose these films and what (if anything) ties them together for you?

Joe Begos: The thing that ties them together for me is that not only are they some of my favorite films, the art in question from those films is just so awesome to me. My only regret is not getting the VIDEODROME piece WAY BIGGER. I eventually want a full sleeve collage that is blended together much better, but tattoos are quite expensive! Very soon though, very soon.






MMB: Your editor/lead actorJosh also plays Mark in the film, and I noticed his tattoos are covered up in the film (except for a glimpse of his shoulder). Was the decision to obscure his tattoo sleeve deliberate, and why?
JB: It was, because not only does the movie take place in the 1980's were people with sleeves were much less commonplace, but I thought it could also look weird if the lead in the movie also has a giant FRIGHT NIGHT and PHANTASM tattoo. We did leave a few visible, but nothing from any films.
MMB: Have you ever experienced any kind of discrimination in the film industry because of your body art?
JB: None yet. Filmmaking is such a stressful ordeal as it is, I really try hard to surround myself with like minded people. Thankfully most of those likeminded people are all horror obsessed nerds like myself, and to be honest, the more excited that somebody gets that I have a VIDEODROME tattoo, the more I want to work with them!
 
James Woods actually lives in the town that Josh and I grew up in, and one day we were out grabbing some food. I hear a familiar voice behind me, and I turn, and its JAMES FUCKING WOODS eating with his mother. I go pale. I stop talking. I don't know what to do. So on the way out, we stop, and tell him what big fans we are. He seems to give the normal "Thanks" wave brush off (let's be honest, the man was out to dinner), but I just HAD to show him the VIDEODROME tattoo. I pull it out, and his mouth drops as he lets out a belly laugh. He grabs my wrist and pulls me in, and goes "LOOK MA! THAT'S MY HAND!!" He then gave us some AWESOME Carpenter and Cronenberg stories. Unbelievable.

Almost Human premieres Tuesday at Midnight Madness!


ALMOST HUMAN Screening Times:
Tuesday, Sept 10th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Wednesday, Sept 11th, 7:15 PM SCOTIABANK 3
Friday, Sept 13th, 2:30 PM SCOTIABANK 9

No comments:

Post a Comment